Adam Shwartz is a Professor in the Faculty of Electrical Engineering. He joined the Technion in 1984.
, Id. no. 051924090, passport no. 5903908 Israel
May 1, 1953, Tel-Aviv, Israel
Family status: Married, three children
Hasela St., P.O.Box183
Atlit 30300, Israel
Phone: (972)(4) 984 1920, 984 2527.
1979 B.Sc. (Cum Laude), Electrical Engineering,
Ben-Gurion University, Israel
1979 B.Sc. (Cum Laude), Physics,
Ben-Gurion University, Israel
1981 Sc.M. Applied Mathematics,
, Brown University Providence, R.I., U.S.A.
1983 Ph.D. Electrical Engineering,
, Brown University , Providence, R.I.
U.S.A.Thesis advisor: Prof. H. J. Kushner.
Senior Member --- IEEE.
Associate Editor, QUESTA, 2002--
Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 1990--1992.
(with P.Dupuis and G.Yin),"Stochastic Systems and Their
Conference in honor of Harold J.Kushner, on the occasion of his 60th birthday, Newport,RI, April 1994.
Organizer (with R.Adler, E.Mayer-Wolf, A.Merzbach and O.Zeitouni), "Stochastic Processes", International Conference in honor of Moshe Zakai, on the occasion of his 65th birthday, Technion, Israel, June 1991.
Local Organizing Committee, The Bernoulli Society Conference on Stochastic
Processes and Their Applications,
(with Prof. Z. Schuss); workshop on Queues and Communication Networks, Tel Aviv
Univ. and Technion,
Organizer (with Prof. A. Ephremides); workshop on queueing and control problems, University of Maryland, College Park, April 30-May 4 1984.
University fellowship, Brown University, 1979-1981.
D. Ben Aharon Research award for ``contributions to Adaptive Control of Markov chains'', Technion, 1988.
New England Academic Award for 1987/88, for ``contributions in the field of Stochastic Control,'' Technion, 1988.
a] Refereed journal papers
1] Published or accepted for publication
1. H.J.Kushner, A. Shwartz, ``An invariant measure approach to the convergence of Stochastic Approximations with state-dependent noise,'' SIAM J. Control Opt. 22 No. 1, pp.13-27, January 1984.
2. H.J.Kushner, A. Shwartz, ``Weak convergence and asymptotic properties of adaptive filters with constant gains,'' Invited paper,IEEE Trans. Info. Theory IT-30 No.1, pp.177-182, March 1984.
3. H.J.Kushner, A. Shwartz, ``Stochastic approximations in Hilbert space: identification and optimization of linear continuous-parameter systems," SIAM J. Control Opt. 23 no.2. pp.774--793, September 1985.
4. F. Baccelli, A. M. Makowski and A. Shwartz, ``The Fork-Join queue and related systems with synchronization constraints: Stochastic Ordering and computable bounds,'' Advances in Applied Probability 21,pp.629-660, September 1989.
5. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Optimal priority assignment:a time sharing approach,''IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control AC-34, pp.1098-1102,1989.
6. Shwartz and N. Berman, ``Abstract stochastic approximations and applications'', Stochastic Proc. Appl. 31 pp.133-149, 1989.
7. Shwartz, M. Sidi, ``Erasure, capture and noise errors in controlled multiple-access networks'', IEEE Trans. Comm. Theory 37 No.11, pp.1228-1231, November 1989.
8. Shwartz and A. M. Makowski, ``Comparing policies in Markov decision processes: Mandl's lemma revisited,'' Math. Operations Research 15 No.1 pp.155-174, February 1990.
9. D. -J. Ma, A. M. Makowski and A. Shwartz, ``Stochastic approximation for finite state Markov chains,'' Stochastic Processes and Their Applications 35 pp.27-45, 1990.
10. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Adaptive Control of constrained Markov chains,''IEEE Trans. Auto. Control 36, pp.454--462, 1991.
11. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Adaptive Control of constrained Markov chains: criteria and policies,'' Annals of Operations Research 28 pp.101-134, 1991.
12. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Sensitivity of constrained Markov decision processes,'' Annals of Operations Research 32, pp.1-22,special volume on ``Stochastic Models and their Application," F.J.Radermacher and U.Rieder Editors, 1991.
13. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Markov decision problems and state-action frequencies,'' SIAM J. Control and Optimization 29 No.4 pp.786--809, 1991.
14. J.D.Biggins, B. Lubachevsky, A. Shwartz and A. Weiss, ``A Branching Random Walk with a Barrier," Annals of Applied Probability 2 pp.573-581, November 1991.
15. Lubachevsky, A. Shwartz and A. Weiss, ``An analysis of rollback-based simulations," ACM Transactions on Modelling and Computer Simulation 1 no.2,pp.154-193, 1991.
16. M. Makowski and A. Shwartz, ``Stochastic approximations and adaptive
control of a discrete-time single-server network with random routing,''
17. M. Makowski and A. Shwartz, ``On constrained optimization of the Klimov network and related Markov decision processes," IEEE Trans. Automatic Control 38 No. 2 pp. 354-359, 1993.
18. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, ``Time-sharing policies for controlled Markov chains,'' Operations Research, 1993.
19. N. Shimkin and Adam Shwartz,``Guaranteed performance regions for Markovian systems with competing decision makers," IEEE Trans. Auto. Control 38 No. 1 pp. 84-95, 1993.
20. Shwartz and A. Weiss, ``Induced rare events: analysis via large deviations and time reversal," Journal of Applied Prob. 25 pp. 667-689, 1993.
21. David Levanony, Adam Shwartz and Ofer Zeitouni, ``A Uniform decay and equicontinuity for normalized, parameter dependent Ito integrals," Stochastics 43, pp. 9-28, 1993.
22. E. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, ``Markov decision models with weighted discounted criteria ," Math. of Operations Research 19 pp. 152-168, 1994.
23. David Levanony, Adam Shwartz and Ofer Zeitouni, ``Recursive identification in continuous-time stochastic processes," Stoch. Proc. and their Applications 49, pp. 245-275, 1994.
24. E. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, ``Constrained Markov decision models with weighted discounted rewards ,'' Math. of Operations Research 20, pp. 302-320, 1995.
25. N. Shimkin and A. Shwartz,``Asymptotically Efficient Adaptive Strategies in Repeated Games, Part I: Certainty Equivalence Strategies," Math. of Operations Research 20, pp. 743--767, 1995.
26. N. Shimkin and A. Shwartz,``Asymptotically Efficient Adaptive Strategies in Repeated Games, Part II: Asymptotic Optimality," Math. of Operations Research 21, pp. 487--512, 1996.
27. E. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, `` Constrained discounted dynamic programming ," Math. of Operations Research 21, pp. 922--945, 1996.
28. Eugene A. Feinberg and Adam Shwartz, `` Constrained dynamic programming with two discount factors: applications and an algorithm ,'' CC Pub.~206, October 1997, Technion. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control TAC-44 pp.628-630, 1999.
29. E. Altman and A. Shwartz, `` Constrained Markov Games: Nash Equilibria ," Annals of Dynamic Games 6 pp. 213--221, V. Gaitsgory, J. Filar and K. Mizukami, editors, Birkhauser, 2000.
30. E. Altman, E.A. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, `` Weighted Discounted Stochastic Games with Perfect Information ," Annals of Dynamic Games 6 pp. 303--323, V. Gaitsgory, J. Filar and K. Mizukami, editors, Birkhauser, 2000.
31. Martin I. Reiman and Adam Shwartz, `` Call Admission: A New Approach to Quality of Service ,'' Queueing Systems 38 pp. 125--148, 2001.
32. Arie Hordijk and A. Shwartz, ``Performance bounds for queues via generating functions ," IEEE Trans. Aut. Control 46 pp. 137--142, 2001.
A. Shwartz, ``Death and discounting ," IEEE Trans. Auto. Control 46 pp. 644-647, 2001.
33. M. Jacobson, N. Shimkin and A. Shwartz, `` "Markov decision processses with slow scale period decisions." Mathmatics of Operations Research 28, pp. 777-800, 2003.
A. Shwartz and A. Weiss, ``Large Deviations with diminishing rates ." To appear, MOR 2005.
34. R. Atar, P. Dupuis and A. Shwartz, `` An escape time criterion for queueing networks: Asymptotic risk sensitive control via differential games." Mathmatics of Operations Research 28, pp. 801-835, 2003.
35. R. Atar, P. Dupuis and A. Shwartz, `` Explicit solutions for a network control problem in the large deviations regime." QUESTA 46, pp. 159-176, 2004.
36. Ridder and A. Shwartz, ``Large deviations without principle: Join the shortest queue." To appear, MMOR, 2005. An expanded version is available in PDF and PS files.
2] Submitted for publication
1. A. Zadorojniy and A. Shwartz, “Robustness of policies in Constrained Markov Decision Processes,” EE PUB 1470, 2.2005. (PS version here)
b] Books and chapters in books
1. Stochastic Analysis; Liber Amicorum for Moshe Zakai, Academic Press, 1991. Edited by Eddy Mayer-Wolf, Ely Merzbach and Adam Shwartz.
2. A. Shwartz and A. Weiss, Large deviations for performance analysis: queues, communication and computing , Chapman-Hall, 1995. Second printing 1997.
3. A. Shwartz, ``Discrete Time Markov Processes ,'' EE Pub. 955, Technion, February 1995, in The Control Handbook , Edited by W.S. Levine, CRC Press, 1995.
4. Handbook of Markov Decision Processes: Methods and Applications. Edited by Eugene A. Feinberg and Adam Shwartz. Kluwer, 2002.
5. E. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, ``Introduction,'' in Handbook of Markov Decision Processes: Methods and Applications. Edited by Eugene A. Feinberg and Adam Shwartz. Kluwer, 2002.
6. E. Feinberg and A. Shwartz, ``Mixed criteria," in Handbook of Markov Decision Processes: Methods and Applications. Edited by Eugene A. Feinberg and Adam Shwartz. Kluwer, 2002.
7. A. Shwartz and A. M. Makowski, ``On the Poisson equation for Markov chains: probabilistic methods and applications,'' in Handbook of Markov Decision Processes: Methods and Applications. Edited by Eugene A. Feinberg and Adam Shwartz. Kluwer, 2002.
Eitan Altman, Ph.D. 1990, Controlled Markov chains under constraints.
Nahum Shimkin, Ph.D. 1992, Stochastic control of distributed systems.
David Levanony (Jointly with Ofer Zeitouni), Ph.D. 1992, Recursive methods for identification in continuous time stochastic processes.
Michael Nehorai, M.Sc. 1990, Recursive estimation in Semi Markov models.
Rachel Levi, M.Sc. 1994, A theory of approachability and throughput-delay tradeoff in a queue with impatient customers.
Mathew Jacobson (with Nahum Shimkin), M.Sc. 1999, Two time scale Markov Decision processes.
Alexander Zadorojniy, M.Sc. 2004, Constrained Markov decision processes with applications to wireless communications.
Maxim Ioresh, Large deviations for the polling model, in progress.
Vice dean of undergraduate students, for information systems 1998—2002.
Leader of the Technion ERP project 2000-present.
Deputy for information systems, to the vice president for administration and finance 2002-present.
Together with Jim Gillis, we have developed some software to help Associate Editors with their duties. This is tailored especially for IEEE Automatic Control, but can be easily modified to accomodate other publications. This package was used for IEEE Automatic Control, IEEE Communications, IEEE Information Theory, SIAM J. Control Optimization, Stochastic Processes and their Applications, and probably some other journals. The package is called CARS, and the main package, CARS.mail , includes the manual (J. Gillis and A. Shwartz, ``The CARS software package," SRC, University of Maryland, August 1991). Additional files can be found in the same directory.
Preprints of other works are also available:
on ATM Traffic Management, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications
(ENST), Paris, France, December 1995, `` Bit dropping in ATM: A large
deviations analysis, " with A. Weiss.
Slides of the talk at the ATM conference.
Slides of `` Large Deviations for performance analysis, " a series of talks I gave at the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies, December 11-14, 1995.
Abstract of `` Large Deviations for Performance Analysis, " invited minicourse: 3 lectures, The Lunteren Conference, Lunteren, Holland, January 1995.
A. Shwartz and R. Levi, `` Throughput-Delay tradeoff with impatient arrivals, " Proc. 23 Allerton Conference on Communications, Control and Computing, Illinois, 1994.
Slides of `` Call Admission: A New Approach to Quality of Service ,'' a talk I gave at BRIMS, HP Labs, Brighton, England, August 1997.